Pre Employment Drug Test Requirements
There are countless benefits of requiring all new applicants a conditional Pre employment drug test. Ranging from deterring the wrong people from applying, to safety and productivity, it has become commonplace to require new employees to pass a drug test prior to being officially hired.
There are several requirements in place that employers must abide by when subjecting potential employees to a pre employment drug test.
- The same drug test program must be applied to each applicant. No discrimination.
- A detailed description of the drug policy in place must be provided, including legal medications which may produced a positive result.
- All test(s) that will be administered must be provided to every potential employee prior to being hired.
- According to laws, each applicant must be notified that they will be tested, and by which conditions they will be tested.
- Employers must have a drug-free policy that applies to every employee that requires applicants to be drug free.
- State laws state that applicants be given a letter offering the job which say that the offer is conditional on a negative pre employment drug test result.
Types of Pre Employment Drug Test
The most common form of conditional screening is through Urinalysis, or testing a urine specimen. This type of procedure is most widely used because it is inexpensive and the least invasive type of pre employment drug test. There are also tests that sample blood, hair, and saliva, each having their own upside. Based on SAMHSA’s (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration) guidelines, a 5 Panel test is the baseline for what drugs are tested. They are as follows:
- Amphetamines (meth, speed, crank, ecstasy)
- THC (cannabinoids, marijuana, hash)
- Cocaine (coke, crack)
- Opiates (heroin, opium, codeine, morphine)
- Phencyclidine (PCP, angel dust)
In addition to this baseline 5 panel model based on SAMHSA’s guidelines, there are additional commonly used tests, which test for the 5 listed above, as well as other drugs, known as 8 panel and 10 panel Test.
The 8 Panel Test
- Barbiturates (phenobarbital, butalbital, secobarbital, downers)
- Benzodiazepines (tranquilizers like Valium, Librium, Xanax)
- Methaqualone (Quaaludes)
The 10 Panel Test
- ethadone (often used to treat heroin addiction)
- Propoxyphene (Darvon compounds)
The pre employment drug test requirements vary based on employer, but screenings can be done for basically any substance. Including also the following:
- Hallucinogens (LSD, mushrooms, mescaline, peyote)
- Inhalants (paint, glue, hairspray)
- Anabolic steroids (synthesized, muscle-building hormones)
- Hydrocodone (prescription medication known as Lortab, Vicodin, Oxycodone)
- MDMA ( commonly known as Ecstasy)
For more information on learning how to set up a pre employment drug test policy for your company please call Employment Screening Services, LLC at (716) 332-2274.